Monday, August 30, 2010

B. Favorite "Games"

For this assignment we were asked to list games that we would play as kids; as follows:
-Hide-&-Seek (always too fast for them)
-Barbie's Horse (not much of a doll person)
-Donkey Kong series 1-3 for the SNES (I always knew where all the hidden bonuses were)
-Mario Kart for the N64 (always knew where all of the secret tracks to get ahead in the game were)
-Clue
-Oregon Trail for the Windows '95 (I always died of dysentery)
-Pokemon Yellow for the Gameboy Color (I still have it and play it from time to time)
-Sorry
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the N64
-pretending I was a mermaid in the pool was always a great past time in the summer
-Legos (I still play with them)
-building pillow forts in the living room between the couches and chairs
-checkers
-sidewalk chalk and riding our bikes on the newly drawn "roads"
-anytime I went over someone's house and they had a creek in their yard that was automatically designated as a swamp that needed to be explored
-anytime my parents got a new, huge appliance, the box became a house painted with markers
-Fortune Teller, school yard style - includes: paper flaps with numbers and colors to spell out who you're future husband was and what house you'd live in

Games I remember hating:
-Operation
-Some Hasbro electronic game that required you to place oddly shaped pieces into their matching slots before the timer ran out
-Monopoly (this game took like 3 days to play)
-"House" or any form of with plastic kitchen ware included
-Baby dolls
-Dodge ball when it was girls v. boys and most of the girls would just stand there and be afraid of the ball instead of trying to dodge it

I could try to remember many more but that could be pages long. I noticed that I really liked games that didn't involve me having to rely on others to win but rather for them to lose. I also played a lot of games that I could play by myself for extended periods of time mostly because I was an only child. Things that did require more than one person were ones that could be played at recess like Fortune Teller and Hide-&-Seek. Other things I like often were Summer time activities played in my backyard like things involving the pool or exploring a ditch. Mostly everything else was electronic based and I just fell in love with video games. I think its because they provided so much exploring for me without having to go anywhere and with other people. I could be alone in my room but explore entire galaxies without anyone having to know. I could complete them on my own time and most of the ones I played, I didn't need anyone else to do so. All of this makes me sound extremely anti-social but I really wasn't, just extremely shy and felt better left alone. I noticed from the few games I hated it was mostly due to them being time based (it just made me too nervous) or they made me rely on other kids. I think I in some ways was a lot more mature than many of my peers which unfortunately made me uncomfortable when I was forced to be around others. It made me sometimes think I was better than people which I had to learn the hard way that I wasn't. But I simultaneously didn't want to stand out when playing or known to be good at something because I was shy, and being noticed was not good for me then.

No comments:

Post a Comment