Friday, September 3, 2010

Funneling Concepts for 2-D Animation Fall 2010


So I had a hard time racking my brain to come up with some ideas for this semester's Animation class. I decided to start listing things that visual stimulate me to want to animate in the first place and see where that would take me. In terms of picking an overall style I decided that I'm interested in flat geometric shapes representing characters and landscapes like in the video vimeo.com/6327556 by Lois van Baarle or vimeo.com/13776542 by Eran Hilleli. In Between Bears just shapes are understood to represent ideas and things which I find fascinating. Alsotheir chromatic muted like color palettes are superb and I'd definitely on some level want to utilize them. In a very brief unfinished summary of my idea I'd like to have the story involving a girl (of course) who lives in a city but finds that she doesn't fit in (quite literally in terms of color). The city would be very geometric and derivefrom an Art Deco feel like those in Geogia O'Keefe's City Night (1926). I was wanting the city to be mostly black, blue, and touches of red. The main girl would be done in a retro like aesthetic like but her palette would be mostlybrown, opaque, and beige. She finds a flower blowing through the city that is a pink salmon color that she's never seen before. She decided to follow it which takes her on an adventure through a strange forest. The forest would be designed similar to the Sundance Old Fangs(winner cartoonbrew.com/shorts/animation-block-party-2010-winners.html ).The color palette here would be more purples ,yellows and oranges. Finally I would want her to end in a sort of neither-world where everything is a very muted beige with pools of water. The last seen would be her finally catching the flower. When she opens her hands to see it it changes to the color of dark blue with a miniature version of the city inside and she closes her hans. Again she opens them to reveal a purple flower with the forest insidewhich she closes. Finally she opens them to reveal a beautiful light blue color and decides to put it in her pocket and walk off screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment