Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Project 4




For this assignment we had to take our characters we created (project 3) and animate them in an environment in After Effects. We had to utilize the null tool and expressions. I decided for this project since after looking at my baby doll character (and her slightly disturbing gaze) that any environment would have to have some sort of creepy factor. I decided to look at some old 2-D side scrolling video games from when I was a kid. I looked to Ahh! Real Monsters and Toy Story for the SuperNES and Nightmare Ned for Windows 95. I really think the artwork by Nick Jennings for Ned inspired me for this project. Its as if he mixed Chuck Jones and Tim Burton to create his artwork. I found that unfortunately it was very difficult to animate my character in After Effects mostly because I'm still such a novice. I also had a rough time figuring out composition hierarchy and the best way to order compositions. I'm planning on going back at some point and probably redoing the entire thing from After Effects. I think I just wanted more than I could handle at this point. Also I accidentally knocked one of my files offline and had to find and replace it which wasn't fun at all. When I do this project over I'll remember to be more organized. If this project helped me learn anything, it was the real amount of planning involved to make these projects (especially animating them).

No comments:

Post a Comment